U.S. Federal Courtroom, GSA / Ronald Dellums Federal Building, Oakland, CA
The objective of this highly complex GSA project was to accommodate a U.S. District Courtroom and support spaces inside an existing federal building. In response, Development One completely remodeled 10,000-sf of the second floor into the following areas:
- A new courtroom
- Jury room
- Staff spaces
- U.S. Marshals Service prisoner holding cells
- ADA compliant restrooms, break rooms, and meeting rooms
To provide ADA-compliant access throughout the courtroom without space-consuming ramps, Development One integrated concealed chair lifts into the judge’s bench and witness box. The jury box features direct roll-in access while maintaining crucial sight lines. Reflecting the importance of this judicial facility, Development One selected high-quality finishes for the courtroom, elevator lobby, and public spaces including stone flooring and wall panels, wood millwork, and custom furniture. Support areas also match the courtroom finishes while integrating electronic audio-visual and presentation equipment with high-tech security, life-safety, and lighting.
Specific project scope highlights include the following:
- Office tenant improvement
- MEP upgrades meeting current conservation standards
- New central lobby with high-level finishes
- New/upgraded restrooms
- Re-established utilities and new services
- New/replaced doors and windows
- Building assessment review and confirmation of scope systems.